Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Pumpkin Pie

This is my grandmother's recipe for pumpkin pie. Sadly, Grammy passed away many years ago. However, this means that she does not know that my pie crust skills degenerated to a point where I am no longer willing to even try (and premade pie crust is an abomination that I will not allow in my house) so I make...pumpkin custard! Which is basically pumpkin pie without the crust. It gets a tad soggy at the bottom, but that's not a big deal. Unless I'm going to eat it right away, I bake it in foil pans b/c they can go straight into the freezer.

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 cups pumpkin
1/2 tsp cloves
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tblsp butter
3 cups milk

Melt butter in milk and scald (i.e. you don't want to boil it but wait for the little bubbles on the side)
While it's cooking, beat the eggs and sugar, add the pumpkin and spices, and then pour in the milk mixture.

If you do have a crust, it's a good idea to put foil around the edges. To freeze with a crust, just stick it in the freezer and then wrap it in foil. It lasts about two months that way.

Oh, and bake at 450 for 40-60 minutes. I usually turn the temp down a little for smaller pies.


No comments:

Post a Comment